Tuesday, September 27, 2016

BMW 328i 2007 drive cycle to reset computer

I finally got my BMW fixed but now the smog place is telling me I need to do a drive cycle so the computer will reset. The drive cycle I finally got from the BMW dealership was as follows:

1.) DRIVE VEHICLE FOR 60 MILES - BETWEEN 50-60 mph ON THE FREEWAY AND NOT TO EXCEED 3,000 rpm.

2.) DURING THE DRIVE CYCLE ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO COAST TO 30 mph  AND RE-ACCELERATE TO COMPLETE THE CYCLE, NOT TO EXCEED 3,000 rpm. WHEN ACCELERATING.



I thought how am going to do this living in Los Angeles with no tags? I had to do this after 10 pm but before 3 am to miss traffic. Driving between 50 - 60 mph then coast to 30 mph on the 405 Freeway, with no tags for 2 hours?


I tried to get the dealership to do this but they refused,


I tried to get a temporary day pass from the DMV to drive the car legally, they refused because I was now 4 months late. I did pay my fees on time which prevents them from going up with additional charges. I explained the situation but they would not do it.




I was nervous, I had every piece of paperwork to show an officer of my situation as to why I was driving my car with no tags in case I got pulled over. I almost wanted to put a note on my window saying

I am resetting my car's computer so I can pass my smog test please do not pull me over/


     

I didn't put that note up, after explaining the situation to my boyfriend who was not happy about this late night 2 hour drive I had to take I went for it.
MY ACTUAL DRIVE CYCLE:

...TRAFFIC at this Hour and 2 ACCIDENTS that had the freeway stopped! I sat in the car at a dead stop people were getting out of their cars to see what was holding up the freeway, 
  I had driven 30 miles at the 50 -60 mph range using the cruise control,  Then I sat on the freeway until the accident cleared  15 - 20 minutes, drove  for another 5 minutes and then sat for the 2nd accident to clear 10 -15 minutes. Then drove home.

I decided to just drive my car to work, on errands like normal even without my tags for a few days,

I really missed driving my BMW it felt so good to be behind the wheel of this car. My boyfriend who is wonderful generous and the best ever has let me drive his 2000 FORD Explorer for the last 4 months. I am grateful for this, but once I drove my BMW for that drive cycle all those reasons why I pay $350 for an oil change and all the other high costs of driving a BMW seemed perfectly logical or why I have not been able to drive my car for 4 months.
I love the way it drives it fits me like it was made for me, and now with a brand new cylinder head I can keep her longer than I expected, which is wonderful because I just made my last car payment.

And I took her back to the smog place and she passed!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

California Air Resource Board has a new online fillable Informal Warranty Complaint Form

Just saw the new online fillable Informal Warranty Complaint Form on the CARB website. Check it out: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/s...